Sunday 11 August 2013

Homemade Nail Polish Remover

I've been reading up quite a bit on nail polish removers recently and while browsing online I've seen mention of a homemade version of Zoya's Remove + which is a very highly rated, and expensive, nail polish remover from Zoya. 
 
 
My search led me to loodie loodie loodie's blog and her recipe to make a copy of the top rated remover.  There are various posts online on the subject and they all seemed to come to the same conclusion; it's easy to do, not too expensive and works as well as the store bought product.  Obviously I had to give it a go.
 
So I stopped off at Sally's for some Acetone and Boots for the Glycerin required.
 
 
The Acetone was £3.49 and the Glycerin was £1.29.  £4.78 in total which will make one large bottle of remover with a good amount of Glycerin left over.  Zoya is $10 for just over 200ml (8oz) so it's quite a saving.
 
As well as the Glycerin and Acetone you add a little water into the mix to help everything emulsify nicely.  I wasn't exact with my quantities but I would say I used roughly 160ml of acetone, 3 teaspoons of glycerin and probably 4 or 5 teaspoons of water altogether.  I mixed them up in a smaller acetone bottle I had bought previously, making sure that there wasn't any glycerin rolling about at the bottom of the bottle (if there is, just add a touch more water and mix again until they all blend together nicely as one clear layer).
 
First impressions are good, the remover took my polish off super fast as you'd expect from something which is almost pure acetone but unlike using pure acetone it didn't leave my nails looking too dry, or feeling like they'd been stripped of all moisture as is often the case when I just use acetone.
 
I'll report back after I've been using it for a bit longer, and tried it on some tougher polish - like glitters - but so far it seems like a super efficient remover for very little money.
 
Have you tired Zoya Remove+, or made your own version before?
 

4 comments:

  1. I have been making my own for around 3 months now, it's working well. Any clean up is easier too now I have pure acetone (I got a 500ml bottle of acetone and decanted 50ml into a little bottle for clean up only)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear there are no ill effects after a few months, that was what worried me. :D

      Delete
  2. I've tried this using the same bits as you and it works great. I think it has helped me grow my nails a bit longer too :D

    ReplyDelete